Special Service Areas, are local tax districts that fund expanded services and programs through a localized property tax levy within contiguous areas. The enhanced services and programs are in addition to those currently provided though the City.
The City contracts with local non-profits, called Service Providers, to manage SSAs. Mayorally-appointed SSA Commissioners for each SSA district oversee and recommend the annual services, budget and Service Provider Agency to the City. There are currently 53 active SSA’s in Chicago.
The Commercial Avenue Special Service Area provides the following services:
- Public way maintenance and beautification
- Business retention/attraction
- Special events and promotional activities
- Facade improvements
- Holiday decorations/pole banners
- Commercial and economic development initiatives